TOTAL TIME REQUIRED TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Prep Time: 30mins
- Cooking Time: 30mins
- Resting Time: 1hr
INGREDIENTS REQUIRED TO PREPARE THE CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 6 Eggs
- 180gm Sugar (1cup)
- 1tsp. vanilla extract
- 120g Flour(1 1/4cups)
- 80g Cornstarch/Cornflour (1/2cup)
For the Filling and Frosting.
- 150g Dark Chocolate(Atleast 70% Cocoa)
- 3 tbsp. Cornflour (Cornstarch)
- 3 tbsp. Cocoa powder
- 2 cups milk (500ml)
- 300g Butter
- 2 tbsp. Sugar
METHOD TO BAKE THE CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/350°F. Dust with cocoa powder and grease the base and edges of an 8 1/2 inch(22cm) springform pan.
- Seperate the egg yolks from the whites. Beat the egg yolk with half of the sugar(90g) and the vanilla extract until foamy.(4-5mins with an electric mixer)
- Sift the flour and cornstarch over the mixture and fold in with a wooden spoon.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks(1min with an electric mixer).Then add in the remaining mixture slowly in quarters and continue whisking until they form stiff peaks. Fold in the whisked egg whites in the egg yolk mixture using a wooden spoon.
- Pour the batter over the prepared cake pan and smooth the top. Bake in the oven for 25-30mins, until a wooden cocktail stick inserted into the middle, comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly, then carefully run a knife around the cake to release the edge of the cake from the pan.Turn onto a wire rack and leave it to cool for at least an hour.
FROSTING FOR THE CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
- Mix the cornflour, cocoa powder and the sugar in a bowl with a bit of cold milk until smooth.
- Put the remaining milk in a saucepan, bring to a boil and stir in the cornflour-cocoa mixture. Boil once more until tiny bubbles begin to form. Keep it aside and let it cool to lukewarm. Break the chocolate into the mixture and melt over a saucepan of simmering water(bain-marie).Stir in the butter, a tablespoon at a time.
- Split the cake into half and spread the frosting in between and onto the sides of the cake evenly. Let it cool until ready to serve
SUGGESTIONS FOR THE CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
- Use a steel spoon to mix in the egg whites and the egg yolk to avoid letting the air out that has recently been trapped to make the cake fluffy.